THE YEAR OF OR TAMBO
100 YEARS CELEBRATION
THE YEAR OF OR TAMBO - 100 YEARS CELEBRATION
Johannesburg- Wednesday, 19 July 2017 –SABC Radio joins South Africans in the centenary celebration of the life and legacy of Oliver Reginald Tambo as part of The Year of OR Tambo and will be holding a live broadcast to celebrate 100 days to OR Tambo’s birthday on Thursday, 20 July 2017 at the Radio 2000 studio in Auckland Park.
The fully-fledged centenary celebration event will take place on 27 October 2017 under the theme: Resistance, Liberation and Heritage – The year of OR Tambo and Rediscovering liberation & heritage for the Africa we want.
Acting GE: SABC Radio, Mr Leuba Ramakgolo, stated: “As we continue our journey of informing and educating our listeners through this powerful content, we join the country as we all celebrate the life of this magnanimous legendary icon.”
SABC Radio Stations that will be taking live the live feed between 8am and 9am from Radio 2000 are Ukhozi FM, Umhlobo Wenene FM, Lesedi FM, Phalaphala FM, RSG and SAFM. Other SABC Radio stations will be supporting the event on air using the #ORTambo100 with the support of the SABC digital news.
- The stations will carry the 100 Days Content count down from 20th July – 27th October 2017.
- July – Archived material that reflect OR Tambo and Nelson Mandela will dominate the airwaves.
- August – OR Tambo’s involvement with Women emancipation will feature including his relationship with his late wife, Adelaide Tambo.
- September – Preservation of our Heritage and OR Tambo’s involvement
- October – OR Tambo birth month celebrated.
- In the beginning of October, listeners across all radio stations will be encouraged to send in their poems dedicated to OR Tambo. Of the poems sent, 27 Poems depict OR Tambo and what he stands for will be flighted on air.
BACKGROUND ON THE STALWART
“Oliver Reginald Tambo, leader of the African National Congress in exile for thirty years, died on 23 April 1993. Yet his legacy lives on. Comrade O.R. left us a significant and enduring heritage, one, which enhanced our new constitution, contributed to the inclusive and equitable policies of our democratically elected government, and affirmed the abiding vision of the ANC itself.
Two major processes in Comrade O.R.'s early life moulded his style in politics and leadership - his traditional rural roots; and the expertise he acquired through education. Each experience was very different; yet O.R. combined them creatively to develop an approach, which was able to reach and empower a broad mass of the people, both nationally and internationally.
During his fifty years of political activity in the ANC, Comrade O.R. played a significant role in every key moment in the history of the movement, until his death. Oliver Tambo is a founder member and secretary of the ANC Youth League in 1944; the general secretary of the ANC from 1952; the mandated leader of the ANC's Mission in Exile 1960; the President of the ANC from 1977 until 1990; then National Chairperson until his death, in 1993”.
The official hashtag campaign is: #ORTambo100